Protect Your Data, At Any Distance
The day may come when all efforts to safeguard data at the production site has failed. Every minute of downtime could mean 10’s or 100’s thousands of dollars of lost revenue, and even worse, a damaged industry reputation. With asynchronous remote replication, the data is duplicated and becomes quickly accessible in the event that the production site becomes unavailable. Asynchronous mirroring provides the highest integrity and the most flexible disaster recovery service for all applications and business critical data.
Asynchronous remote replication copies all protected production volumes to the remote site where it can be used for disaster recovery
The data is safe at the remote site, now what? Many companies go this far, but fail to take the next critical step in their DR plan: Testing. With asynchronous remote replication, non-disruptive tests can be conducted against the production data and applications as often as needed. Simply engage test mode for any volume at the remote site and the remote application servers are presented with the latest copy of the production volume. When the test is complete, simply disengage test mode and the state of the system reverts back, with no impact on production.
There are various solutions available to replicate data to a remote site, that part is easy. But what if a fail-over and then a subsequent fail-back become necessary? This is much more difficult. The Advanced Site Recovery feature automatically reverses the asynchronous replication direction during a fail-over or fail-back operation to ensure that the alternate site receives all updates once services are restored. And, unlike other solutions, a full resynchronization of all the data is not necessary to bring the original site back on-line. This saves time, money, and a lot of frustration, not to mention prevents unnecessary downtime during the transition.
The Advanced Site Recovery feature automatically reverses the asynchronous replication direction during a fail-over or fail-back operation to ensure that the alternate site receives all updates once services are restored.
Feature Highlights Summary
- Perfect for disaster recovery, inter-site migrations, and remote site application testing
- Only needs a basic IP connection to the secondary sites
- Bi-directional transfers
- Asynchronous protocol to tolerate transmission delays and link outages
- Central site to remote sites (1-to-many)
- Remote sites to central site (Many-to-1)
- Compressed, multi-stream transfers for fastest performance and optimum use of bandwidth
- Allocate link bandwidth among replicated disks based on user-defined storage profiles
- Expedite initialization of remote site using transportable media
- Test disaster recovery readiness without impacting production
- Direction of replication can be reversed using Advanced Site Recovery
- Integration with VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM)